I run various homespun personal databases for music notes, journaling, writing projects, graphics, and technical documentation. I am engaged in a circuitous process of exploring some broader questions around them.
- How do they evolve over time? How can this evolution be more seamless?
- What are the commonalities among them? What can be combined into a shared system?
- How can common structures (like a data schema, or a type system) flow through the different layers of the system?
- What is the equivalent of a spreadsheet for a distributed graph database?
- How can unified interfaces help us work with complex sets of files without an “import” process?